Match Report

Match: Y10 Boys Football vs Witham

Venue: Away

Date: 12/10/17

Score: 3-3

Team Selection:

Ben Barrass

Josh Bray

David East

Lewis Dalton

Nathan Woodhead

Mitchell Day

Morgan Stamp

Kieran Chapman

Lewis Wisdom-Lockwood

Callum Burlton

Oliver Snell

Owen Ramsden



Morgan Stamp x1

Lewis Wisdom-Lockwood x1

Oliver Snell x1

Description of game:

After having two games in two days, the team was rotated so that legs were kept fresh on the pitch. The Y10s had never played Witham before as they had always struggled to get a team out, this meant that the boys didn’t quite know what to expect.

On 3mins TGA ventured forward and Lewis Wisdom-Lockwood had a shot saved by the Witham goalkeeper, but the ball was only parried into the path of Oliver Snell who couldn’t find the net with the rebound.

A minute later, a good ball into the box from a corner met the head of David East who powered the ball at goal, but only into the goalkeepers grasp. It was later to be found out that the goalkeeper plays for Lincoln City, so beating him was going to be a tough ask.

From the same corner, Witham broke on the counter attack which allowed their striker to go one on one with Ben Barrass in goal and he smartly finished into the top of the net. 1-0 Witham.

Not long later on 6 minutes, Witham pumped a long ball forward that evaded the TGA centre backs heads. Their striker rushed on to it to have a simple one on one finish again, making the score 2-0.

It was crucial at this stage, that the TGA heads did not drop just a day after losing heavily in the County Cup at Casitor. The boys had listened to Mr Mills’ words and showed more togetherness today. Supporting each other as a team, instead of getting on each others backs.

On 9 minutes, Lewis Wisdom-Lockwood used his trickery to get into the box, but by the time he had cleared the defender, the angle for his shot had closed up and he could only find the side netting.

Witham gained another corner soon after and a low fizzing shot came in, which Ben Barrass dealt with confidently. At this stage the game had become very even, and TGA were starting to get control of possession.

On 12 minutes, Witham broke into the box at pace, but Mitchell Day had kept good pace with the striker to put in a slide tackle to put the ball behind for a corner.

A minute later, the ball was the other end and TGA had done well to win a throw in in a dangerous position. Lewis launched his throw in into the box which bounced in front of the keeper. Morgan Stamp reacted fastest as he stuck a toe out to poke the ball past to keeper to get TGA back in the game. 2-1 to Witham was the score.

For the next 10 minutes, both sides cancelled each other out, battling for possession in the middle of the pitch, which was a joy to watch.

With 26 minutes on the clock, Morgan played a lovely long pass over the top of the Witham defence. The goalkeeper was playing quite high up the pitch and as he scrambled to get back to goal, Lewis Wisdom-Lockwood had already got on to the ball and with his first touch, neatly lobbed the ball over the keepers head to make it 2-2 at the half time interval.

After half time, TGA started the strongest. A great long ball over the defence again, allowed Callum Burlton to go one on one with the keeper. The defender had kept pace well and just did enough to put Callum off as he struck a fierce effort straight at the keeper.

With the rain starting to come down, both teams started to try their luck from distance. On 6 minutes, Witham tried a long range effort which nestled into the gloves of Ben Barrass.

On 8 minutes, Lewis found himself on the break again, easily outpacing some of the Witham defenders. He produced a good shot, but the Lincoln City goalkeeper once again produced a save to put it out for a corner.

From the resulting corner, Witham broke to the other end and again went one on one with Ben in goal. Ben rushed out and made himself a big target, which worked as he put the ball behind for a corner. Once again, Mitchell had tracked the run of the striker to keep the pressure on as he shot.

On 11 minutes, Morgan played another delightful through pass for Lewis to run on to. One goal area of the pitch was very bumpy as Callum Burlton had been finding out in front of goal. This particular through pass fell to Lewis at an angle to goal. As he went to strike, the ball bobbled and Lewis blazed the ball wide.

On 16 minutes, the bobbles helped as Lewis got to the byline and put in a low cross. The ball bobbled past two defenders, in front of the goal keeper, over Callum’s foot and to the feet of Oliver Snell who was unmarked at the back post. Oliver made no mistake in blasting the ball home to make it 3-2 to TGA.

With both sides now starting to play end to end, it was crucial that TGA held on for the win. Unfortunatley, Witham had a midfielder who had super glue on his boots all game. The player moved majestically through the defence and unleashed a rocket of a shot from just inside the 18 yard box to leave Ben Barrass stranded in goal. 3-3 was now the score.

In truth, a draw was probably a fair result, but TGA will feel they had done enough to win. The bobbly penalty box at one end, proving to be the thorn in their sides.

Great effort boys, and this will bode well for the next game after the winter break.